I haven’t done much cooking since the baby was born, but I made this recipe a while ago and it was easy and yummy. . . so I had to share it with you!
‘stoup’ –> thicker than soup and thinner than stew according to Rachel Ray
Thick and flavorful. Slightly spicy with the spicy turkey sausage. Filling with the addition of pasta. And sneaking in some veggies with the addition of broccoli!
The original recipe (for Sausage-and-broccoli rabe stoup) can be found here from Rachel Ray Everyday Magazine.
Here is the recipe with the changes I made – based on what I had in the house.
Sausage and broccoli stoup
1 large head broccoli – cut into small pieces
2 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb hot turkey sausage
1 large onion – chopped
3 cloves garlic – chopped
32 ounces chicken stock
28 ounce can stewed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups small shell pasta
Parmesan cheese – for sprinkling
1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, salt it, and add broccoli and boil for about 3 minutes. Drain and cool.
2. In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
4. Stir in broccoli and bring back to a boil.
5. Add pasta and cook until al dente.
6. Top with cheese and serve.